Punjab Gas Leak: Eleven people died on Sunday in a gas leak from a chemical plant in Giaspura area of Ludhiana, Punjab. Many people have been admitted to hospitals in critical condition. This is not the first incident of gas leak. In the last one year, 10 such big incidents have come to the fore, whose memory has become fresh.
1. Ammonia leak in Haryana’s Jhajjar: On April 28, 2022, a gas leak occurred in a factory in Jhajjar district of Haryana. However, there was no information about any casualty in this accident. It is said that there was a leakage of ammonia gas from a katha making factory.
2. Gas leak in Visakhapatnam’s lab: On 3 June 2022, 178 women employees fell ill after a gas leak in a lab at Achuthapuram in Visakhapatnam, Andhra Pradesh. These people were in the grip of poisonous gas leaked in Porus Laboratories Private Limited.
3. Balaghat Gas Leak: On 8 June 2022, five people died due to leakage of poisonous gas in a well in Balaghat, Madhya Pradesh.
121 women were lying ill in the garment factory
4. Gas leak in Andhra: On 3 August 2022, 121 women workers fell ill due to a gas leak at a garment factory in Anakapalle district of Andhra Pradesh.
5. Balasore Prawn Plant of Odisha: On 28 September 2022, 28 workers fell ill due to leakage of ammonia gas from a shrimp processing plant in Balasore district of Odisha. The workers who came in contact with the gas complained of burning sensation in the throat, nose and windpipe.
6. Ammonia leak in Aligarh: On 29 September 2022, an ammonia gas leak incident was reported at a meat factory in Aligarh district of Uttar Pradesh, after which 50 people were admitted to the hospital.
7. Kasturba Government College Chemical Gas Leak in Hyderabad: On 18 November 2022, 25 students started feeling dizzy after gas chemical gas leaked in the lab at Kasturba Government College, Hyderabad. All were admitted to the hospital.
Gas leak happened here too
8. Ammonia gas leak at Kamalgaji Pepsi plant in West Bengal: On 21 November 2022, an ammonia gas leak occurred at the Kamalgaji Pepsi plant in South 24 Parganas district of West Bengal. Although no one was affected by it.
9. Ammonia leak at Kakdwip Ice Factory in West Bengal: On 25 November 2022, two local residents in West Bengal’s South 24 Parganas fell ill after being exposed to ammonia gas, which was leaking from an ice plant.
10. Chlorine leak in swimming pool in Vijayawada: On 7 December 2022, chlorine gas leaked in a municipal swimming pool in Vijayawada district of Andhra Pradesh. Subsequently, 10 students aged between 8 and 14 fell ill.